Monday, March 30, 2009

I've spent the past few days doing things other that artwork. I've been catching up on life's menial demands like emissions checks and grocery shopping. I've spent time on puerile endeavours that involve mod podge, paper work and graham cracker crusts... not together, of course. There seem to be endless ways to spend time, but for me it is through painting that I assess and explore The Big Picture. Craft making and chores are a blast, and those little activities take up a big portion of life, but they are like little pieces of confetti swept into the trash after the party, and it's like life is one party after another. For me those activities don't have lasting value. I'm talking about the way I spend my time, my day time where I choose how to use it. I think that it's much easier to see the big picture from inside the studio.

I'm aching to get lost in my thoughts and my paint. I have to say that through writing I get a glimpse of The Big Picture. I've been lucky to have had invitations to do a string of lectures for which I've spent time thinking and writing about The Big Picture. I'm working on a power point now for UVU right now...well I'm supposed to be.

Digital artwork by Littlest Kitten

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

pamela said...

i love this post cass! why - because i feel i explore the big picture through paint as well...even though now most of my time is spent "crafting"...but the crafting has it's purpose too as it is for the purpose of enriching little one's lives...but yes, for me personally, give me some paint...

Cassandra Barney said...

I thought of you when I wrote this. You taught me somethng a while back about not making general statements.
I think enriching the little one's lives, the way you use art IS the big picture. YOU are living it. I'm so impressed with your blog, I can't stand it. You are the mom I want to be.
Much love, C

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails