Monday, September 1, 2008

I've finished this painting with the hope that I made it in time commemorate a very important event. I think it turned out quite lovely. The figure is walking into motherhood with a thoughtful, calm and dreamy air. I remember wondering myself who was growing inside of me. How amazing to think that teen kitten, who now stands several inches above me, was once that little mystery. Sigh...

I love that I get to be their mom. I wish I could keep my littlest kitten...little a little longer.
...and another sigh.
Dan Barney and I spent this rainy holiday weekend at home with the kittens. I didn't try to paint or do anything too productive. Instead we played Rock Band, baked until the house smelled like fall and made cool stuff in the studio. The days that we spend together working are some of the most beautiful, happiest days. I don't quite understand what the drawing below is about but I love it.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Deanna said...

I love the dreamy look about her.

She's not experiencing walking the room all night, or poopie messes, or a door being slammed and hearing, "I hate you mom!" I'm not having a dreamy look about me right now. hee hee

I do really love this painting. I LOVED being heavy with child. Ahhh....

Laura A said...

Ooh, ooh, let me try!

So, "We would not be here" means we wouldn't survive without food. She seems to be enjoying the fruits of your garden and appreciating and recognizing the fact that it sustains life. I notice you're there, in one of your gardening dresses :-). It seems a fitting composition, considering the time of year. The time of harvest.

It's sweet.

jennie said...

I love it Cass, it's beautiful, and your thoughts about it are beautiful too. It's so exciting to see children grow and progress and meet new landmarks... but it's heartbreaking at the same time. I always get so sad when the first tooth breaks through. I'm going to be a wreck when Clementine starts kindergarten!

Cassandra Barney said...

Laura- good ne. I like it. I thought of you when I posted her other artwork tonight because of the dyed fabric.
P.S. re:knitting
I have cool yarn and knitting needles but I haven't made much. I usually take whatever I made out before it's finished. I have been doing more embroidery than anything as of late. I might post that sometime.
Cheers.

Suzy said...

Beautiful painting and beautiful thoughts.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails