Thursday, September 30, 2010

Misrepresented


I just washed my brushes. It's that time of day when I switch gears. I always wish I could paint a bit longer but I have a commitment to these children that is more important than anything in the world to me. It's why I work when and where I do. It would be easy to give in to the seduction of my career, give in to my passion for painting, but I fight that. I've felt very strongly that I need to be here in my house, present in mind and body when my kittens arrive home from school.
To be a mother is the most important thing I do in my life and is also part of my Mormon upbringing. I am grateful to my mother for making her children a priority and I strive to do the same.

Because I have a passion for motherhood and for painting and feel that both are important pursuits, I work really hard. That's how I do it...hard work. I strive to be efficient and discipline with the way I use my time. Sure if I let one or the other slide my life would be a bit easier but I won't because I want to do both. Both give my life depth and purpose.

Recently, I have been misquoted and misrepresented online and in the news. I've been misquoted in personal interviews and on blogs as saying things that other people said about me. I've been misrepresented as a mother who works outside of the home, choosing career over motherhood, which has caused an uproar with some people who seem determined to find fault with the Mormon church. Some of the fault finders even happen to be Mormon. And to top it off,when I've looked into these accusations, it looks to me like the accusers haven't actually seen my video on mormon.org and/or aren't aware that the commercial is a little different than the video on mormon.org. It's made me very critical of the media and several blogs. I just want to say, if you have a question, go to the source. If something sounds fishy, check it out.

Now I'm going to get a snack for my kittens...

Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

AngryBaker said...

I'm sorry to hear about this (it's Mendy - changed my user name). It's so clear from following your blog what your priorities are and I am constantly amazed by how much you accomplish in your home and in your art.
I haven't seen or read anything controversial about your spots, but I'm not in the west. Regardless, I hope you don't regret filming for mormon.org. It was such a relief to see such diverse and interesting people profiled.

You're awesome. (man I wish I didn't sound like such a sycophant.)

pamela said...

ooo cass, my heart goes out to you. how awful!

i've always held you up as my inspiration because you've always made it work with the kids as the priority!! i have several examples of you being a mother first, artist second, burned in my mind! it's things like this that sort of make me hate the internet sometimes. you're life is beautiful.

Artfulife said...

I met you a few years back when you & your pops visited a little store in Lake Tahoe to talk about your art. Thought your work was great then & still do. It is hard to juggle being a wife, mother & artist. However I know it can be done. Although I only know you through the snippets I read on your blog I find you inspiring. Sometimes I feel like giving up on my dreams. Artists with families help me to realize I can do this too if I'm willing to put in the hard work needed. Keep doing what you are doing. Pretty sure I'm not the only one you are inspiring.

Laura Mayer said...

I think you are awesome...the coolest, most grounded inspiring woman I know...you amaze me- I have lived with you and your family and the one word I think of is BALANCE...you handle the whirling dervishes that are your beautiful family as well as an amazing art career... I couldn't be prouder to call you my friend...oh my and check out your SUPER FABULOUS CRAFTASTIC HALLOWEENIE HEADER...WICKED!!!!

Unknown said...

You don't know me, but I started following your blog after seeing the movie on Mormon.org. Just thought I would let you know I think you are amazing. It stinks that what I found to be truly inspiring (your video) has caused a little heart ache too. Opposition in all things, right? Cheers-Jody

Rebecca said...

Oh, that makes me sad. I've really enjoyed the videos you did for mormon.org. You seem to do so well at balancing. I feel like I'm always in chaios, I hope as I gain more experience I can figure out how to balance things better. It's nice to see examples to know it's possible. :)

Anonymous said...

What!! Who are these people! Let me at 'em! Wow, people are talking about you... You've hit the big time, girl.

Deanna said...

Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter.

Kaitlyn said...

thats really a shame...you are fabulous and love you cassy

Cassandra Barney said...

Thank you to each one of you! Shortly after I posted I thought, posting here is preaching to the choir. Those who read my blog are far smarted than those who are spewing inaccurate information...obviously.
Still, it felt satisfying that I had put the record straight somewhere.
Really,thank you to each one of you, I read each of your comments several times and refocused on the good and that got me really excited for conference weekend.
Littlest Kitten said this morning, "Conference is like a warm bath, at first I don't want to get in but when I do, it feels so nice that I don't want to get out."
Cheers!
Cassandra

nicole b said...

I have loved watching all the different Mormon.org spots and found them refreshing and honest and showed a more realistic side of Mormons. We aren't perfect. We aren't necessarily traditional. But the gospel of Jesus Christ enriches our lives and blesses us. I think you're brave and beautiful. Thanks for taking a risk and being willing to put yourself out there. Oh, and your art is stunning. I keep telling myself that one day I will own one of your pieces! One day!

Amy said...

I can't believe people could criticize you. You are the most grounded and well rounded mom I know. I wish I could have what you have. And those nay-sayers would have a hay-day criticizing me as i do work outside of the home, my children go to daycare and I have a calling that takes quite a bit of my time.
Love you and I think you are way awesome!

Shelley said...

I don't know what other people say about you. I don't even know you except for seeing your mormon.org video and now your blogs. My girls and I think you Rock! As I write this a couple of my girls (I have 5) are drawing with inspirations from your work. We love art! Thanks for being You!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails