Friday, August 13, 2010

I've always wanted to be on a billboard...

I used to joke about it, about wanting to be on a billboard. In interviews, one of the questions I've been asked on more than one occasion is, "what would you like to accomplish with your art?" I have never had an actual big goal with my art. Mostly I'm surprised and amazed at every good thing that happens...like an actual billboard and commercials and that sort of thing. I couldn't have thought these things up. I'm on a commercial in nine cities right now. I saw the commercial for the first time last night. Me...just for being me. Whoa.

It started with the video. Adam Abel asked if they could do a video...and that they wanted it to be authentic so I wasn't to change/stage anything. Easy...I did dust, but that was about it.

So the video went up on mormon.org and I got some nice emails. Cool. But then they came back a second day to video again and they said it was for t.v./billboards. I thought they were joking until I got more emails for people saying they saw the commercials?!

As far as I understand it, the commercials were produced because more than half of the people in this country say they know nothing about Mormons. Like with any large group, Mormons are diverse but they are also united by common values-family, service, honesty, friendliness, and so on.

There are six million Mormons in the United States and 14 million world wide. I can tell you from personal experience that when I go to art shows all over the place, if it comes up, people are surprised that I'm a Mormon, like I'm supposed to have a french braid or something (not that here is anything wrong with that.)


8 comments:

AngryBaker said...

Way to represent! They're doing a media blast in our city and I haven't seen any commercials yet (don't really watch regular tv - oh, our tv gets use, just not local stuff:) but people have been talking about it. My husband's coworkers joked with him (they've seen some spots) that they don't need to go to mormon.org because they've got their own personal mormon to interrogate.

Anonymous said...

That is so wild! I guess they needed a cute mormon for such a LARGE billboard!

Miss Heather said...

I keep seeing your Mormon.org thing pop up on my Facebook page... :) I'm excited for you! At least you look gorgeous and beautiful on the billboard!!!

Kaitlyn said...

cass- thats incredible! its wacky to see it and say 'thats my family' wild! congrats and living the life you want!

Kaitlyn said...

cass- thats awesome! Congrats on living the life you wanted! and you look beautiful! I love my family congrats again

chococatania said...

Way to go! I've been lurking here for a little while (I love your art, I have to admit). I like creating, and I also am a Mormon.

I think that the new commercials they're making are great.

Anyway - I just wanted to say - Awesome!

Unknown said...

I am here at your blog JUST because of this campaign by the church. I think it is ABSOLUTE brilliance. Everyone has a story to tell.

How does it feel being the poster child for Mormonism? Pretty cool I would guess.

Anonymous said...

I was checking out your blog because of the campaign also. What's even more funny is that I know Alice Gold above me (we live in the same city).
Your work is beautiful!-Jennifer

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails