Wednesday, November 25, 2009


Flaming June, painted by Fredric Leighton, is one of my favorite paintings. I was thinking about this image when I woke up this morning. I love the rich color. It's rich but not assaulting. Mostly I do want the artworks around me to be calming and have that emotional something that goes right into my heart and warms it to aching just a bit.
What a dream of is an art balance, of purity and serenity devoid of troubling or depressing subject matter- a soothing, calming influence on the mind, rather like a good armchair which provides relaxation from physical fatigue. -Henri Matisse

4 comments:

pamela said...

what a gorgeous painting! i never knew i could love that much orange.

Laura A said...

Ooh! I like that one. Have you seen Solitude?

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Solitude-Posters_i310639_.htm

She's our favorite. We saw the original at the Maryhill Museum on the Columbia River 16 years ago (life size, accurate replica of Stonehenge there, too that's fun to play in) and fell instantly in love with the painting. It's enormous. We've made the drive back down to Maryhill a couple times, just to see that painting. They usually have a bench placed in front of it so you can sit and admire it. We bought the poster and have it framed in the entryway of our home.

Not as much color as Flaming June, but a ton of emotion and sense of calming.

Tom said...

I also love this painting. Perhaps it is a cousin thing. I have some nice pictures of it from our trip to Puerto Rico.

Anonymous said...

I had completely forgotten about this stunning work of art until you mentioned it, and I'm so glad you did! Yes, this colour is unbelievable! Vibrant, rich, warm. Love it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails