Saturday, June 9, 2007

Karma

Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
-Unknown source

Growing up, my mom often reminded her kids of "The Golden Rule". The Golden Rule simple means "treat others as you would like to be treated." I found that hard to live as a kid sometimes, like when I was so mad at my little brother for....I can't even remember what for now but I remember it was hard be nice even though that's how I wanted him to treat me.
Some Buddhist thing I read said, "Whatever karma I create, whether good or evil, that I shall inherit". It's all about the same idea. You get what you give. In Sanskrit the word karma literally means action. Our actions make up that cycle of cause and effect. In my current examination of my life I've been trying to be hypercritical of my actions, examining my own behaviour...and the fruits thereof.
The thing is, I really do believe in karma. You get what you give. For instance, Thursday evening I had a church meeting so I pulled out this skirt that I think I've only worn two other times that I can recall. I looked fine in that skirt but as I was returning it to my closet I thought, hmmm... I could put this back and store it forever or...I could put it in the box in our laundry room where it will be picked up by someone who might wear it and get more use from it than I will. Nice. But this story gets better. Every girl I know knows that it's hard to find jeans that fit just right. So when I put my skirt into the box, I picked up a pair of jeans and...they fit me just right! Good karma. What goes around, comes around.
I think good actions are also contagious. I have some good friends who have sent me things while I've been away and that's THE BEST. Friday I got two packages, one from Steve and Tonya with the best CD ever in it and a book on CD from my friend Russ. I love those guys. Those thoughtful actions made me all smiley and that made me in a better mood to my family and they were happier because of that and thus the chain of actions goes on...

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails