Thursday, July 25, 2013

Protector


A mother's instinct to protect her children is not something to be underestimated. I know I speak for a lot of us when I say that I would do anything for my babies. The urge to protect my children has not decreased as my daughters have grown. I would throw myself in the line of fire for my nineteen-year-old as fast as I would for a newborn baby.

I had an incident recently that reminded me of the superhero I would like to be, The Protector.

We were sitting on the curb outside after enjoying fireworks for a city celebration when a truck drove by and a teen boy threw a small water balloon at our little family grouping. which included toddlers, a couple of teens, three adults, a baby and my littlest kitten. Without breaking, the balloon hit my littlest kitten pretty hard.

Now I know that it was just some jr. high boys up to a little mischief, most likely not intending to harm anyone but something in me snapped. I was going after those boys, with no conscious thought as to what I would do if I caught up with them. The boys got away and my kitten is fine, and that was the end of that, except that I have been aware of protector inside of me ever since.

I don't respect or understand people who try to hurt others, whether with words or with actions. Yoda said, "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate and hate leads to suffering." I don't think the urge to protect necessarily leads to anger or hate, but maybe there is a little fear involved. It seems to me that there is a difference between a selfish fear, and a fear that comes from love, a selfless love with no price attached.

I have learned that those who hurt others, actually hurt themselves in the end, but if it is within my power to protect another, I will gladly do so and I will do it with the ferocity of a superhero.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails