Saturday, January 26, 2013

Two Hearts, One Arrow


Gallery 601 in Boise asked me to paint a painting for Valentine's day. Love is big subject and I did a lot of sketches before settling on the idea of two burning hearts pierced by the same arrow. It's so romantic.
I can imagine that upon seeing this painting, people will ask me why the subject doesn't look overjoyed. I was aiming for "thoughtful" as opposed to giddy or silly. She looks strong to me, like she carries a lot. I think that love, as beautiful and sweet as it is, is heavy. Love gives the heart weight.


After finishing the painting, I found this verse:


Lovely one,
with a nest of copper entangled
on your head, a nest
the color of honey
where my heart burns and rests,
lovely one.

-Pablo Neruda


I also love this verse, although it doesn't fit quite as well with this painting, it could inspire another painting.

My arrow of love
has arrived at the target
I am in a house of mercy
and my heart is a place of prayer.

-Rumi


1 comment:

Shelley Whiting's art said...

Your paintings are very fun and stylish. Beautiful work.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails