Sunday, June 8, 2008

I quickly grabbed my in-house garden expert (Dan Barney, of course) and took him straight to the peas. "What the bleep happened to my baby peas, we only left for one night?!" "Snails" he said.
"Somebody get me a beer right now...BEER!" I said. I heard that works but actually my dad had some snail killer in his garage. It's not as clever, but it will do.

I looked and looked for the little criminals and I still can't find their lair. I'm distraught. I'm picturing myself this fall, holding an empty basket, mourning the loss of my crops, practically starving.WAIT! I just thought of something. All around the peas there were feathers...lots of feathers in the dirt. It creeped me out a little but maybe a backyard Mormon miracle just happened. Maybe some birds...I want to say seagulls but I haven't seen any around, came and ate the snail/locust and saved our lives. Maybe it happened. When is the first Sunday of the month? I have a story to tell.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

chiggyz said...

O.K. Cass. You are so darn funny. I thought the beer was for you. You are not going to starve. The seagull thing is too funny. I am laughing so hard right now. You are a scream. Your garden will be O.K.

Kat said...

I'm seriously coming to your ward if you promise to bear your testimony of the snail-eating seagulls.

When I was in San Fran, we got a snail infestation on our roses. Beer actually worked better than snail killing stuff.

Deanna said...

You can't find the snails because they are cowards and only come out at night. Try the beer. (Just be careful who sees you buy it) It should take care of those closet eaters.

pamela said...

oh this is funny. and yes, if you plan on telling that in church, let me know where and when.

Morgen said...

Non alcoholic beer works just as well. I have also used a little yeast in a pie plate filled with water. It's cheaper and my husband got tired of me buying beer.

Laura A said...

Awwwww, I'm so sorry.

You can go and buy a little pea plant to stick in the ground. It might not be as cool as growing from seed, but by the time it's huge and fruit bearing, you'll have some ownership in it.

It's so completely dark and cold here, I can't imagine ANYONE is going to be getting food from a garden in this area.

jennie said...

Will you mention the beer in your testimony??

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails