Saturday, December 29, 2007

I hope with all my heart there will be painting in heaven. Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot

Last night at 1:10 a.m., I looked up at the row of wet paintings on the mantle and I saw/understood what is tying them together. It was so obvious, but I couldn't see it when I was working. I felt that thing that I get only with painting and connecting. It's an elation and an understanding that I don't have words for. It's the magic (for lack of a better word) that sets art apart from other...things. It's what makes art vital to make and share...to life.

It's interesting to me that even when I'm unaware of it, I work the same way. I work in a series, exploring an idea, concept or feeling. I can't think of any painting I've ever done that was conclusive. There is no such a thing as conclusive. I don't understand why it's even a word. It seems to me that there are no conclusions, only evolution, growth and movement.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails