Saturday, June 2, 2007

Joan of Arc



I've been on a quest to find some a new role models. I still like Frida Kahlo and Sylvia Plath, they did some beautiful work that really touches me, but the thing is, as I see it, both of those women accomplished what they did by leading very self absorbed lives. I'm in quest of a female role models who gave a little more outside of themselves for what they believed in.
The first one that came to mind was Joan of Arc (Jehanne Darc). She has a good story. It's pretty amazing to read about her accomplishments. She was just this good little girl, smart and sassy, going to church and helping out the family like probably lots of kids when...she has this vision, "I heard a voice on my right, in the directing of the Church, and rarely do I hear it without the light, this light comes from the same side as the voice...It seemed to me a worthy voice, and I believed it was sent from God; after I had heard this voice the third time, I knew that it was the voice of an angel."
So Joannie, (as they called her) is told she will go to France and raise a siege, "...and I replied that I was a poor girl who knew neither how to ride nor lead a war." Amazing. After she spoke with St. Michael and the other angels that accompanied him, she wanted to go with them. I love that, makes me tear up. He told her that St. Catherine and St. Margaret would be sent to instruct her further. A couple more amazing women.
That's pretty cool. She was given a big job that she wasn't prepared for and she was brave and did it. Being burned at the stake sounds about as bad as it gets but what an inspiring story.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails