Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Beautiful


I overheard some girls talking about how depressing it was to be turning thirty and how old they thought they looked. Thirty? If they only knew! Forty is way better than thirty and I assume life is just going to get better from here. And how come they aren't proud of those barely pronounced baby wrinkles? I worked for every wrinkle I've got. My wrinkles symbolize where I am and how I got here. It seems pretty strange to me that holding onto youth is a priority for anyone. What drives people to want to look like they haven't lived?
What is interesting or beautiful about that?

I just finished a set of retablo like paintings. This is one of my favorites. I haven't mastered painting wrinkles yet. I'll work on that. I just got an idea for a drawing...
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Nelka said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on aging. I hit my thirties, and I am 100% ok with my little baby wrinkles. I completely agree with you--it is a sign that you have a history, you have lived, you have stories to share. What a great message to share.

lorie said...

Beautifully written. Thank you, from a 40 something admirer.

lorie said...

Beautifully written. From one 40 something admirer, I love what you said.

Anonymous said...

Own it! And work it!
I'm so excited to turn 40!

Laura A said...

Here here! I couldn't agree more! I'm quite proud of my graying hair.

The sun spots are taking a bit of effort to appreciate though, but my mom and grandma both have them, so there's a sense of belonging.

Love it.

NieNie said...

You know what I love about the lack of wrinkles on your older women? That it feels as though I'm seeing their inner selves in addition to their physical shells.

pamela said...

**i know the guy who filmed you - he also filmed sunshine - remember that? years and years ago she was in a film short? he (greg) said you were super fun to film.

andrea said...

you are delightful! thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

I'm turning 30 on Monday and I'm excited. I have a friend turning 28 on Sunday and she is sad about it. I've never been 30 before, I'm looking forward to it. How sad not to be happy about your birthday.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails