Sunday, June 21, 2009

I'm always interested in how different the galleries I visit are run. The way galleries do business and the way in which they interact with their customers and artists is interestingly diverse. That diversity makes each art show opening unique. There is one thing at every show I do, that stands out to me as the same. It's practically the only thing that makes it's bearable. I can't think of one word but I'll try to describe it. It's an exchange between me and a few people who connect/understand/feel something that I did/intended/attempted to do in creating the artwork. That exchange is only possible when in those moments there is unguarded sincerity. Not everybody is brave enough to feel it, let alone voice it. I'm glad for those who do because it's the one thing that makes it worth it.
Dr. Dan Barney overheard an interesting conversation between a couple of enthusiastic gallery strollers who were criticising my paintings. Though the conversation he relayed to me was entertaining because they just didn't get it, something Dan said stuck in my head. He said something about it being unfortunate that they didn't seem to understand the best thing about the paintings. It was all around them and they couldn't see it or feel it. It was what the people who sent the stories, the artist, and audience and the collectors all shared. It was where all the stories overlapped. It was that these artworks had meaning.
That was the best thing he could have said because it's what I believe in. 'Meaning' is what I'm seeking in every artwork I do.

I really was pleased with this show. I watched people reading the little blurb I wrote about working with these stories sent in by some of you, touching stories from all over the world. Then they would go and read a portion of the story displayed on the wall and study the painting. There seemed to be lots of thoughtful responses. So thank you again to those who came to the show and those of you who sent your stories.
It all started with wanting to paint a painting to protect Jenny the pyro-tech from burning up in a little streak of bad luck. I hope it works. Thanks for the spark Jenny!
Painting about inspiring people is a treat. Pam Beach is one cool artist mama. Check out her blog and you'll be amazed. I wish I'd studied at Pamschool before I'd had my own kittens.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

pamela said...

"unguarded sincerity" is my new favorite phrase. you're so right on. no one can connect unless both are open to unguarded sincerity.

we went back to the gallery today because i wanted to soak it all in some more....but it was closed.

of all the things i love about you, i decided that what i love most is that you are overflowing with happiness.

GrittyPretty said...

the retablos are gorgeous! and i love them TONS! Oh how i wish i'd turned in a story! I can't decide which one is my favorite, ALL of them I suppose.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails