Monday, February 18, 2008


Mummified Cat

I was sitting on the couch with my computer in my lap when teen kitten walked in from school. She plopped down beside me and I knew I had to tell her. “Sweetie, mommy wants to mummify something.” Middle-kitten had mentioned something about mummification that she had learned at school and since then, I haven’t been able to get it out of my mind. That’s when she looked at my computer screen to see that I have googled "mummification recipes". Luckily she didn’t over-react. She asked me what I had in mind and that was the problem, I didn’t know what I wanted to mummify but I really wanted to do it. It only takes two months and I was sure (still am) that we could gather the supplies. I’ve spent quite a bit of time researching and discussing the process. I even found out that some mortuaries currently offer that service but it is very pricey. I found a simple guide in wrapping techniques. The only part that I’m not so sure I’ll be able to stay standing for is sticking the wire up the nose to mess up the brains then sucking them out through a straw. I asked my dad if he would do it but he’s not being very enthusiastic. I’m really excited about the canopic jars and the amulets placed on the body to keep it from evil curses. I’m planning on designing them right away. Teen-kitten and I worked through many options of what/who to mummify and we only came up with one good candidate. It’s my neighbors cat, Squeekers. The thing is, Squeekers is old and has some sort of sickness that leaves it’s fur half fallen out. That cat has seen better days and really, wouldn’t it be an honor to be mummified by …us? I think so. At about that time in my conversation with teen-kitten on the couch, I realized Dan Barney was listening, “Great, my wife is going to locked up for stealing, killing and mummifying local pets?” I’m thinking more Pushing Daises than a low-budget horror movie poster of a lunatic mother in a bloody apron. All I’ve done so far is research and drawings. We’re going to do some surveillance on Squeekers tomorrow, start looking for patterns and all of that. Fun!


X-ray of Mummified Cat

Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

GrittyPretty said...

Oh! and make sure you bundle fragrant flowers and herbs to tie under your nose with a gossamer ribbon.

what apron will you be wearing?

hmmm...

Kat said...

Cass, I love this. The pictures are great. Do you really have to take the brains out? I mean, couldn't you just skip that part and buy the jars anyway?! I'm anxious to see where this goes...

Crystal said...

why not start smaller.. maybe a house mouse? the nose brain thing won't be so messy..

Nicholas said...

You're so funny! I'll send you my cat if she dies anytime soon!

Cassandra Barney said...

I'm really thinking a squash or something without brains is more realistic. I'm the girl who passes out at when I get a mole removed. I do like the ritualistic method of preservation.
Nigel- re your comments, I lost them and no I'm not even going to look up that crazy cult. Ew.
We thought about sewing all of this including guts.

Nigel said...

Aw, c'mon. Ew? I didn't post about mummifying neighborhood cats. At least look at the website, www.summum.org. They mummify a lot of pets, but no humans--yet.
p.s. birds and mice would probably dehydrate so fast that there would be no need to do stuff that makes you pass out. The idea of recreating all the stuff with sewing is probably more labor intensive (and ritualistic)than real mummification. That could be really cool.

Laura A said...

Eww!

EWWWWWW!

Gross!

I admit that the mummification fascination is lost on me. Even though I seriously dislike cats.

BUT, your drawings are really cool, particularly the x-ray. It's funny.

Cassandra Barney said...

Laura- I still call canvases 'prints'. They are only canvas. Are you coming to Cannon Beach the first weekend in May? Do bring the certificates to your artwork out there and I'll draw on them for you.

C

Cassandra Barney said...

...and please, no one send me any dead animals (Nicholas). I just don't think I can really go through with it. I really am thinking squash. I just don't know. Even grasshopper guts freak me out.
I'm still thinking.

Oh and Nicholas are you coming to my show in Ohio in...is it April?
C

Laura A said...

Ok. They don't look like canvas laying on your table like that, but I thought that might be the case.

We're going to try for May. I think it's the plan unless taxes completely destroy us (self employment has its down sides) or we get sick.

Deanna said...

Would you take requests for neighborhood dogs that bark all night, because I have a few in mind. On a serious note, (ha ha) you could mummify one of our chickens when they die.

Nicholas said...

I didn't know you were coming to Ohio this year. Where/when is it? Of course I'll come if I'm able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails