Friday, August 31, 2007

Rainbows and Unicorns

At dusk, in nightly ritual, I snuggled up to my littlest kitten to read her a story. She picked out one of our favorite books. I love the illustrations an the message. What I glean from it every time is that we have the power to use what we feel inside for something greater.
Frida did leave us with some beautiful paintings that shoot right to the heart. For me these paintings allow me to tap into emotions that are strong and sad.
Frida turned her pain into something beautiful. It seems terrible to me that so many people feel so much and instead of using it to make something beautiful, they turn it others, spreading the suffering instead of sharing the beauty of it.

I've had this thought many times before but last night I thought of another aspect. What if it's the other way around? What if the art-maker is filled up with love and happiness instead of suffering? Isn't it just as legitimate to channel those emotions into artwork so that those feelings might be shared and tapped into as well? Does all great art spring from pain? Isn't the contribution of joy as strong as sadness?

Painting happiness seems like a big undertaking. I guess in the end it's like I've said before, be true to yourself, that's it.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I absolutely love that book. I want a copy! Frida is one of my all time favorites.

I do try to express love and happiness through my paintings. Especially in regards to my love for my sweet girls. I'm always trying to find joy in my motherly duties. Sometimes I think I use concepts in my art to convice myself that happiness comes through serving and performing my duties well. It's too easy to get bogged down by how many hours are spent in the kitchen etc. It takes a little more effort to love the kitchen as much as I love my studio... ok almost as much. But, it is worth the effort when it makes our houshold a happier place. I want to radiate love, no matter where we are or what we are doing.

Cassandra Barney said...

Me too with all of that. I beleive that. But what about creating artwork that is so touching that it makes people cry. Artwork that communicates with the soul. All I'm saying is it seems easier to have impact with saddness rather than joy. Ya know?
I just wiped out my painting again..I just might be aiming a tad too high.
Back to work...hope you are doing the same. XOX Hun

I Am said...

Hi Cass,
I think you can deeply touch people without painting about suffering and sadness. I recently did a painting for charity and it has a peace and love type of energy, and the woman running the show said when she first saw it it made her cry. It was a WOW moment for me, I've never had that happen before. I'll send you a picture of it.
Glad to see you are settling in at home.
xx

Cassandra Barney said...

A- Thanks for the comment. As I worked my self into art crisis mode its you that I wanted to talk to. I'm still floundering after three solid days of work. I've wiped off all of what I've worked on. Hopefully I'll have a better week this week. I have a couple of new ideas that I really want to work on.
I want to see your painting and talk to you more.
Love, Cass

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails