Monday, June 18, 2007

Carrot Soup

Carrot Soup

I'm asked at every show if I paint other subjects besides figures/women. My MFA work was actually a series of still life paintings. I learned a lot from this series about formal design elements. The texture on those paintings was luscious. I want to incorporate some of that texture application in my current work. In the painting above, the paint was paint lickable, it was hard not to touch it. I also like the use of the oil sticks with which I could draw and have all of those fresh lines. Sometimes I'd let my little ones draw on the panel first to break up the space, add a little unpredictability to work with, symbolic of working with children, creating beauty out of chaos.

The subject matter on that series was about the kitchen table which is/was the center of our home. As a family, we gather there, to eat, to work, to converse... I still like the idea.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails