Tuesday, May 1, 2007

A Charitable Soul

I'm reading Paulo Coelho's The Devil and Miss Prym. It's the kind of book where I read a couple of pages then put it down to absorb it. I really like his writing about fate and love, the meaning of life and morality. Last night I read this passage and have been thinking about it...

Very clever. Playing the part of the charitable soul was only for those who were afraid of taking a stand in life. It is always far easier to have faith in your own goodness than to confront others and fight for your rights. It is always easier to hear an insult and not retaliate than to have the courage to fight back against someone stronger than yourself...

Hmmm....
I think we as individuals have some basic rights. I'm not talking about selfish needs that we construct in order to fulfill our lack of self-esteem or personal entertainment. I'm thinking there are basic rights such as respect, and the right to happiness and to develop our talents and pursue what we deem as important . These things are the things worth fighting for.
...just thinking.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails