Saturday, April 14, 2007

Chloris

My friend, Gretchen Elsner, invited several artists to model her costumes for a photo that would be hung in a shop in Barcelona. It was a re-enactment of Botticelli's Primavera. In preparation for playing the part she picked for me, Chloris, I studied the painting and from that got the idea for my upcoming show, Primavera. I got to wear Gretchen's water-cycle piece.
Chloris was a nymph associated with spring, flowers and new growth. "As she talks, her lips breathe spring roses: I was Chloris, who am now called Flora." Ovid
In my version, the little vine is trickling out of her mouth and she is not being threatened by that grey wind, like in Botticelli's painting. I did add a few hidden symbols of my own. I'm pleased with it.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails