Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Amercian Visionary Art Museum

I can't believe that I've never been to the American Visionary Art Museum in Baltimore before now. I think it could have changed my life if I could have visited as a BFA student and seen the pieces in the Home and Beast exhibit.
I couldn't find much about the artists I was interested in but here's a bit about the show...
The following exhibition text and bits of wit and wisdom appear throughout the six galleries that make up HOME & BEAST. The galleries of Home & Beast: "Animal Tales," explores animal themes and symbology in mythology (including significant collections of images by Christine Sefolosha as well as paintings by David Borghi)."Noble Beasts," features animals as muse: a menagerie of animal figures, predominantly sculpture (including Clyde Jones' "critters" and the Archuletas' animals)"Grazeland," the relevance of animals in everyday life--as pets, on farms, and as food (including the plans for humane slaughterhouses by Temple Grandin and the kinetic sculptures of Vollis Simpson)"Home Sweet Home," memories of home life and what, in fact, constitutes a home (including the models of Bruce Bickford and the paintings of William Kurelek)"Best Nests," outsider artist environments (installations by Loring Cornish and Mr. Imagination)"Homecoming," a look at "final resting places" (Ghanaian art coffins as well as cremation urns by various artists including Nancy Josephson)

I'm drawn to outsider art. As a kid I loved it because I knew I had a voice but not skills. I'm not sure how to word it but sometimes the most powerful display of human emotion comes from the directness of someone not hindered by commerce or skills that distract from that raw emotion. There was honesty and raw energy in this show. Also, as a young girl traveling with my family to museum after museum in Europe, I was especially drawn to reliquaries. I would save objects, some of which I still have, such as the tail of a pig I ate with my dad in Spain and locks of hair of ancestors who had passed away because I wanted to make a series just like Nancy Josephson's cremation urns. They were beautifully beaded sculptures that elevated the object inside by mere presentation.
There were some paintings by an artist whose name, I think, was David Boughi. I'll him keep on file with other artist that I'll have nightmares about. There were a lot of artists in this show who suffered from mental illness. His big painting of Eve after the fall, with eve as a big scary dark monkey was so haunting. Art made my the mentally suffering is so very disturbing to me because it feels like you can feel a little bit of that person's suffering and that's pretty incredible to know that people hurt that much.
I wish several of my friends could had seen that show. Baltimore? Who knew? Pretty cool city.
Posted by Picasa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails